As parents, we know that being mentally tough is something that will help our children be successful on the soccer field and in life. New research shows that natural talent doesn’t play nearly as big of a role in top performers’ success as previously thought. In fact, natural ability only accounts for 30% of a person’s achievement. Frequently, naturally talented people fail to reach their potential while other far less gifted individuals go on to achieve amazing things. What makes the biggest difference in achievement is GRIT. Angela Duckworth, the leading expert on grit, defines grit as “passion and sustained persistence applied toward long-term achievement.” So, what are some things that we can do to help instill grit and mental toughness in our own kids? Here are a few ideas:
- Praise effort: Highlight the work and extra effort your kids are putting into their sport and/or school. The hard work is what will help your kids grow tough, confident, and strong.
- Support the struggle: It’s okay for kids to encounter some stress in their lives. We cannot protect our children from challenging and stressful situations throughout their lives. Helping them deal with difficult teachers, coaches, and unfamiliar situations will help them develop the resilience they need to live in the real world.
- Realize that strict is good: Support teachers and coaches that have high expectations and demand the best from your children. They will grow tougher and will appreciate it in the long run.
For more info on this topic, read here:
The chill is finally in the air and we’re looking forward to a great weekend of soccer. Here’s the Town Park weekend lineup:
Saturday, October 19
- 9:00 am – U9 Boys Red vs. Mill Valley
- 9:00 am – U12 Boys Red vs. Mill Valley
- 10:15 am – U11 Boys White vs. Napa United
- 12:00 – U13 Boys vs Marin FC
Sunday, October 20
- 9:00am – U10 Boys Red vs. Mill Valley
- 10:00 am – U9 Girls White vs. Marin FC
- 10:30 am – U13 Boys vs. Marin FC
- 12:30 pm – U8 Boys Red vs. Mill Valley
- 1:00 pm – U9 Boys White vs. Napa
- 3:00 pm – U10 Boys White vs. Napa Sport
- 4:00 pm – U11 Girls Red vs. West Marin